Monday, October 4, 2010

Lil' punkin

Wow, I can't believe that my FAVORITE holiday is nearly here!! I'm so excited!!  While I was spending time with my SIL this weekend, she mentioned that she had seen a cute idea for a pumpkin.  She found it in a trade magazine at the floral shop where she works.  So, of course, I had to give it a try.

 I started with a dollar store plastic baseball, it truly sucks not having a craft store in town,



    (My choices are a bit limited, but JoAnn's will be opening next week.  Woot Woot! )
                                             Then you also need some ribbon,


 Make sure that it is wire-edged ribbon, cut about 8 pieces that are roughly 1 1/2 times the length from the top center of the ball to the bottom. 




Get a stick from the yard and a couple of artificial leaves, the trusty glue gun and some scissors.  (Make sure they're not the good sewing scissors.......that could mean instant death!)



Carefully pull the wire from the end of the ribbon, bend the end over so that it doesn't pull through.  (Oh, and sparkly holiday nails are not a necessity, but they are fun.) Make sure to do this on both sides.  Sorry about the blurry pic.



Gently pull the wire and gather the ribbon from both directions.  Check and make sure it fits the ball, then tie off the ends and clip the wires.



Smash one end of the ball so that it will sit flat, then start gluing the ribbon panels around the ball.

So it looks like this.  


Continue adding panels until it looks like this.  Oops, make sure that you add a little glue between the panels so that the ball doesn't show through like this. Adjust the ribbon so that it looks like it is a little more poofy  er, so it looks quilted.

Add your embellishments and VOILA!  You have a cute lil' punkin' to add to your fall decor!




I think mine will live on the improv mantle......please ignore the dust.  Wouldn't you know this was the one place I forgot to dust today, sigh....


Aww,  doesn't it look at home??  Now go get one for yourself before all of the good ribbon is gone! 

Awesome blogs I'm liking to: 
Visit thecsiproject.com 
Show and Tell Green

10 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous idea! How creative! I'm so impressed- it really turned out so well. :)

    Jessica
    http://craftily-ever-after.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love the little plaid pumpkin tucked in with his plain orange relatives on the mantle.
    and don't worry about a bit of dust; I think of it as a protective covering on fine antiques!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling pumpkin! My friends and I have decided that it's not really dust...if no one touches it and messes it up, it's patina! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a super creative idea! Way to go, girly!!! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and would love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! Be sure to link up your fabulous finds at my weekly party, each Friday-Sunday! Hope to see you there!!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - so cute and creative. I love that you ruffled the ribbon. I guess not having a craft store forces you to be more creative :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thinking! Thanks for linking up with Anything Related! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is super cute. I love the colors. It would be so cute on each plate. Thanks for stopping by.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. A dollar store baseball...very smart! The pumpkin is adorable! I'm so happy for you that you get to have a Jo-Ann's. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pumpkin is adorable!! What a great way to use an old plastic ball!!

    ReplyDelete